Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I Determine What is Relevant

Since May 11th and the President's remarks on May 11th about reforming the healthcare reform, I thought that I needed to write something in context about cultural competency and quality or at the least give my perspective on how health disparities have to be considered if we are going to make any sustainable change in healthcare as a whole.

I pondered what to write and even scratched out an outline of the points I wanted to make sure I explained thoroughly. After pondering and outlining and pondering some more, I realized that I needed more perspective. So, I began to read more blogs and opinions and tweets of those for universal coverage and those against what is being labeled as "socialized medicine".

The amount of information and disinformation and opinion is startling. I have a decent grasp of how the healthcare system works from point of care to process of payment and beyond. Yet, making sense of all the opinions about what health care reform must do, what it will create negatively and positively, to those who believe that the system is fine and that changing it will cause health plans to fail, to those "Good Americans" that simply want everyone to pay their way, is mind boggling to me. I cannot imagine what a person who has not been trained in these dynamics experiences when trying to connect the dots.

My conclusion is that "I determine what is relevant". Now, the "I" in this statement does include, I, Amri. It also includes you, reader. It also include you, pundit, politician, President, Peter, Paul, and Poppins, and potificatoblogwriterspindoctorsincerejournalistpeacemakerparent. (More)

No comments: